Sunday, November 22, 2009

S's Marimekko's


[This is wonderful, I have the drawing that Sally did. She mailed it to me in a beautifully protected heavy envelope and I can clearly read what she wrote.] 
 
[From the top left it says,] My Marimekko's from back-in-the-day...the first ca 1965 (paid for by babysitting)

[That is the dress on the top left, black and brown and the accompanying notes are -- ] optional belt that also could work as a head band...background w/ some fairly small brown leafy pattern...somehow I think there was maybe 2 layers of ruffles...

[Moving down to the blue dress] The second bought by my mother as my college interview dress though I still didn't get into Radcliffe! ... think black chickenpox against white on bib, Nehru collar and cuffs and dark blue on the rest...once again optional belt...

[The large paragraph on the bottom says] The top one was a perfect summer dress and I wore it literally to pieces...the bottom one -- less suited for summer wear and too think for regular winter wear -- I don't recall what happened to it. I'm sure I liked it less after rejection from Radcliffe, but now I wish I had shortened it for use as a shift.

[Moving to the upper right] The third etched in my memory (thought not so distinctly as it was a 10 min encounter in a dressing room in the mid 70s) is the one that "got away" in that it was too expensive for my post college ltd budget and so flamboyant that I couldn't imagine where I'd wear it other than as a mu-muu at home to clean the kitchen....? so beautiful -- even on  me at a time when I was still ong and lean -- that I recall it strongly & slightly lament letting it stay in the store....     white ground but very bright thin stripes of hot colors...actually, re Melissa's blog, the style of this one and also the colors looks quite derivative of beautiful African dresses.

[in the bubble right near the colorful dress is --] ohh how I wish this drawing looked more like Kalman's...

IT'S A WONDERFUL DRAWING AND I HOPE I CAN KEEP IT.....how lucky that would be...

1 comment: